Skip to main content

Opus I Statistics - What are the odds of getting a legendary foil?

According to a Kotaku article I've read, as of December 2017, there have been 3.5 million packs sold from Opus I. If we break that down, then we have a rough estimate of how many cards there are from the set. This does not include starter decks, because I do not have information on how many of those there are. Except foils. More on that later.

Based on the fact that 3.5 million packs have been sold, we can predict how many of each card there is on the fact that there are twelve cards in each pack: 7 commons, 3 rares, 1 hero/legendary (80% chance hero, 20% chance legendary), and 1 foil. This means there have been approximately 42 million cards opened since it's release into western markets. There should be:
  • 24.5 million commons
  • 10.5 million rares
  • 2.8 million heroes
  • 700 thousand legendaries
  • 3.5 million foils
If we take this further, we know that there are 186 unique cards in Opus I, 216 including cards found only in starter decks. Because I don't have the figures on those, I can't even speculate on how many are out there. I would guess there are several million units sold of Opus  I starter decks.

Of the 186 unique cards, there are 78 commons, 60 rares, 34 heroes, and 14 legendaries. This means:
  • of the 24.5 million commons, there are 314,102.56 each
  • of the 10.5 million rares, there are 175,000 each
  • of the 2.8 million heroes, there are 82,352.94 each
  • of the 700 thousand legendaries, there are 50,000 each
When factoring foils, it gets complicated. I mean, if we assume an equal distribution where rarity is not a factor, then there would be 16,203.7 of each card, including those found in starter decks. However, when watching videos of Opus I booster box openings, we find a very uneven distribution by rarity.

I found 6 videos of people opening booster boxes. I could not find a video of someone opening more than a handful of packs, which means there's not enough packs to get a statistic, in my opinion. The following are openings from wave one (the very first packs, with mistakes):
  1. Big Orbit Gaming:         18 C, 7 R, 5 H, 4 L, and 2 S.
  2. MeatyOCore:                  17 C, 10 R, 1 H, 4 L, and 4 S.
  3. PokeCastXVII:               11 C, 10 R, 9 H, 2 L, and 4 S.
  4. Anti-Gravity Room:       16 C, 8 R, 5 H, 1 L, and 6 S.
  5. Templar Card Gaming: 16 C, 10 R, 4 H, 3 L, and 3 S.
  6. MST.TV:                           15 C, 10 R, 3 H, 2 L,, and 6 S.                
As a percentage, that's: 43% common, 25% rare, 13% hero, 7% legendary, and 12% starter. I've heard on Reddit that wave 2 increased your chances of getting legendary foils, but I haven't been able to validate that claim. But for wave one, the above should be somewhat accurate. If wave two is the same, this means there should be roughly:
  • 1,505,000 common foils
  • 875,000 rare foils
  • 455,000 hero foils
  • 245,000 legendary foils
  • 420,000 starter foils
Last batch of numbers here. Assuming the above is true, we then have a basis to deduct the exact number of each card printed as foils. We simply divide the quantity of each card type by the number of cards of that type. Here's the results:
  • 19,294.87 of each common
  • 14,583.33 of each rare
  • 13,382.35 of each hero
  • 17,500 of each legendary
  • 14,000 of each starter
I find it strange that there are more of each legendary foil than all other rarities, except common. But then again, there are much fewer legendaries overall (only 14 L, as opposed to 78 C, 60 R, 34 H, and 30 S).

Even though I've answered the odds of getting a legendary foil (7% chance), the odds of getting a particular legendary foil are 1 in 200. That is, if you were to open a random pack, there is a 1 in 200 chance of getting legendary Cloud as opposed to getting just any legendary. Here's for all of them:

  • .55% chance of getting a particular common foil (93 by 216 by 78)
  • .42% chance of getting a particular rare foil (55 by 216 by 60)
  • .38% chance of getting a particular hero foil (27 by 216 by 39)
  • .5% chance of getting a particular legendary foil (16 by 216 by 14)
  • .4% chance of getting a particular starter foil (25 by 216 by 30)

I would like to do at least 4 more booster box openings to get a more accurate figure, so look forward for an update. I know there are a lot of collectors out there who would like to know as precisely as possible the odds of getting, say, a foil Shantotto. Feel free to send me links here, or at my Twitter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where to find the full Japanese script for Ocarina of Time

If you do use The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time  as a form of immersion into Japanese, you might occasionally  pretty much constantly find new letters or words you are unfamiliar with. In a European language, you can simply search the word as it appears on the screen. But what about Japanese words? How do you find the specific kanji you don't know? You can't just search the word, because you'd have to know it's pronunciation already in order to do that. It's not like they all come with furigana  after all. Despite these difficulties, there is a way, but first I should inform anyone interested in learning new letters to look into 'how to search a Japanese dictionary' with radicals (the components of kanji that stem from other basic kanji). Nonetheless, I have found a link to the entire in-game transcript here:  zeldalegends.net I've linked the transcript on my Resources page, along with other useful links for those looking to learn str

Kokiri Forest - Learning Japanese with Ocarina of Time 2

Part 1 focuses on the monologue by the tree for a complex sentence that you can practice breaking down to help make sense of sentence structure. It was, chronologically, the first dialogue in the game, but this one will focus on easier sentences and some kanji you should learn early on. Kanji to learn: 木 ( link ); 森 ( link ); 子 ( link ); 今 ( link ); the next two are important despite only being see once or twice; 中 ( link ); and 出 ( link ). The kanji listed are all grade one except for 今 which is grade two. However, 今 is very common. A lot of kanji taught in higher grades are just as common as the lower grades, in some cases even more so. Take watashi  (私) for instance. It isn't taught until grade six (though most kids already know it) and it's the letter for "I", or "me" when referring to oneself. Kokiri Forest This place is mentioned all over the game, and is fairly easy to remember. It's the katakana for Kokiri (コ 'ko';

Opening Monologue - Learning Japanese with Ocarina of Time 1

I've found a good video editor at last! But until I release my first quality video, I will just keep breaking down footage from the captures I already have. I will put the time stamp to jump to where you can see what I'm talking about, and maybe you just want to read the text yourself for practice. Opening Sequence 0:34「ハイラル王国に広がる深き森…その森を守り続けできたワシを、人はデクの樹と呼んでおった…」 Starting slow I'll look at "ハイラル王国に広がる深き森". ハイラル:  ハ ha ; イ i ; ラ ra ;  and ,  ル ru . We have two of the R-group syllables and a vowel in one word. Altogether it should read heiraru  to make English "Hyrule". I mention that there is two R-group letters, because I know that I struggled with differentiating the R's from each other so this might be a good in-game reference to help. 王国 is a common term for kingdom. It's a combination of two kanji: 王 meaning 'king' (おう; ou ) and 国 meaning 'country' (こく; koku ). King is one of the easiest kanji out