Skip to main content

Where to find the full Japanese script for Ocarina of Time


If you do use The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as a form of immersion into Japanese, you might occasionally pretty much constantly find new letters or words you are unfamiliar with. In a European language, you can simply search the word as it appears on the screen. But what about Japanese words? How do you find the specific kanji you don't know?

You can't just search the word, because you'd have to know it's pronunciation already in order to do that. It's not like they all come with furigana after all. Despite these difficulties, there is a way, but first I should inform anyone interested in learning new letters to look into 'how to search a Japanese dictionary' with radicals (the components of kanji that stem from other basic kanji).

Nonetheless, I have found a link to the entire in-game transcript here: zeldalegends.net

I've linked the transcript on my Resources page, along with other useful links for those looking to learn stroke order, meanings, readings, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kokiri Forest - Learning Japanese with Ocarina of Time 2

Part 1 focuses on the monologue by the tree for a complex sentence that you can practice breaking down to help make sense of sentence structure. It was, chronologically, the first dialogue in the game, but this one will focus on easier sentences and some kanji you should learn early on. Kanji to learn: 木 ( link ); 森 ( link ); 子 ( link ); 今 ( link ); the next two are important despite only being see once or twice; 中 ( link ); and 出 ( link ). The kanji listed are all grade one except for 今 which is grade two. However, 今 is very common. A lot of kanji taught in higher grades are just as common as the lower grades, in some cases even more so. Take watashi  (私) for instance. It isn't taught until grade six (though most kids already know it) and it's the letter for "I", or "me" when referring to oneself. Kokiri Forest This place is mentioned all over the game, and is fairly easy to remember. It's the katakana for Kokiri (コ 'ko';

Opening Monologue - Learning Japanese with Ocarina of Time 1

I've found a good video editor at last! But until I release my first quality video, I will just keep breaking down footage from the captures I already have. I will put the time stamp to jump to where you can see what I'm talking about, and maybe you just want to read the text yourself for practice. Opening Sequence 0:34「ハイラル王国に広がる深き森…その森を守り続けできたワシを、人はデクの樹と呼んでおった…」 Starting slow I'll look at "ハイラル王国に広がる深き森". ハイラル:  ハ ha ; イ i ; ラ ra ;  and ,  ル ru . We have two of the R-group syllables and a vowel in one word. Altogether it should read heiraru  to make English "Hyrule". I mention that there is two R-group letters, because I know that I struggled with differentiating the R's from each other so this might be a good in-game reference to help. 王国 is a common term for kingdom. It's a combination of two kanji: 王 meaning 'king' (おう; ou ) and 国 meaning 'country' (こく; koku ). King is one of the easiest kanji out