Skip to main content

Is it difficult to read in-game dialogue?

Anyone who has ever played a video game has noticed that one almost never, even in children's games, finds only basic "subject - verb - object" sentences. The same is true of Japanese video games. If you were hoping that a game for children would be easy to read, you'd be wrong. Sure, it's easy for a Japanese child. Every day we become dumber while they grow stronger. After all, they are smarter than us. Or are they?

Let's consider the fact that they grew up speaking the language. It's no surprise then that they would understand more difficult sentences than most foreign adults with diplomas who have only been studying the language for a few months. For them N64 games are easy to read. However, there is one area they still struggle with.

That area is kanji. Like us, children in Japan also don't know most of the twelve hundred letters taught in primary and secondary schools. If you've been following my Learning Japanese with Zelda videos, you noticed that most kanji more difficult than a second or third grade reading level have been replaced with hiragana. This decision by developers has two effects:

  1. On the one hand it is beneficial for Japanese children considering they probably don't know most kanji taught in higher grades. So long as they know their hiragana they can read it anyway. In fact, with over two thousand kanji, it's probable that they would remember the pronunciation of a given kanji than they are to know the kanji for that same term.
  2. On the other hand it only helps us if we have learned our vocab independent of kanji. In my case I made the mistake of learning way more kanji than actual vocabulary. I don't remember which one, but let's say I learned the word miru meaning "to see", spelled 見る. When I came across the hiragana みる I could not recognize it at first glance, because I came to associate the word with the kanji and not the other way around.

This is not to say I haven't bothered learning spoken Japanese, but that I focused on learning kanji at the expense of actually speaking the language. Learning the sound of your vocab will help you identify unfamiliar written language more so than simply repeating the word over and over again on paper.

Something that's helping me is writing my sentences with kanji like normal and then spelling the same lines in hiragana alone.

I'm not sure if this is a common problem or if it's just me falling behind since I've begun second and third grade kanji. If you are having this problem, or any problem learning, then let me know in a comment below.

If you'd like something to practice reading, here's a short clip from Fire Emblem 4: Seisen no Keifu to help.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where to find the full Japanese script for Ocarina of Time

If you do use The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time  as a form of immersion into Japanese, you might occasionally  pretty much constantly find new letters or words you are unfamiliar with. In a European language, you can simply search the word as it appears on the screen. But what about Japanese words? How do you find the specific kanji you don't know? You can't just search the word, because you'd have to know it's pronunciation already in order to do that. It's not like they all come with furigana  after all. Despite these difficulties, there is a way, but first I should inform anyone interested in learning new letters to look into 'how to search a Japanese dictionary' with radicals (the components of kanji that stem from other basic kanji). Nonetheless, I have found a link to the entire in-game transcript here:  zeldalegends.net I've linked the transcript on my Resources page, along with other useful links for those looking to learn str

Kokiri Forest - Learning Japanese with Ocarina of Time 2

Part 1 focuses on the monologue by the tree for a complex sentence that you can practice breaking down to help make sense of sentence structure. It was, chronologically, the first dialogue in the game, but this one will focus on easier sentences and some kanji you should learn early on. Kanji to learn: 木 ( link ); 森 ( link ); 子 ( link ); 今 ( link ); the next two are important despite only being see once or twice; 中 ( link ); and 出 ( link ). The kanji listed are all grade one except for 今 which is grade two. However, 今 is very common. A lot of kanji taught in higher grades are just as common as the lower grades, in some cases even more so. Take watashi  (私) for instance. It isn't taught until grade six (though most kids already know it) and it's the letter for "I", or "me" when referring to oneself. Kokiri Forest This place is mentioned all over the game, and is fairly easy to remember. It's the katakana for Kokiri (コ 'ko';

Opening Monologue - Learning Japanese with Ocarina of Time 1

I've found a good video editor at last! But until I release my first quality video, I will just keep breaking down footage from the captures I already have. I will put the time stamp to jump to where you can see what I'm talking about, and maybe you just want to read the text yourself for practice. Opening Sequence 0:34「ハイラル王国に広がる深き森…その森を守り続けできたワシを、人はデクの樹と呼んでおった…」 Starting slow I'll look at "ハイラル王国に広がる深き森". ハイラル:  ハ ha ; イ i ; ラ ra ;  and ,  ル ru . We have two of the R-group syllables and a vowel in one word. Altogether it should read heiraru  to make English "Hyrule". I mention that there is two R-group letters, because I know that I struggled with differentiating the R's from each other so this might be a good in-game reference to help. 王国 is a common term for kingdom. It's a combination of two kanji: 王 meaning 'king' (おう; ou ) and 国 meaning 'country' (こく; koku ). King is one of the easiest kanji out